There’s an abundance of things that will keep families entertained at Lourensford wine estate this summer. Here Mombabbles lists all the treats that are in store for the adults as well as the children this December ahead of Christmas and beyond:
1. For the adults there’s a unique pairing of Turkish Delight and the farm’s own Honey Liqueur, made with honey harvested from their very own bee hives situated on the farm. Pairings include Lourensford’s MCC Brut, MCC Rosé, the Limited Release Chardonnay and their Honey Liqueur. Each wine pairs with a different flavoured Turkish Delight to create for a unique (and delightful) taste exploration at R55pp.
2. Sample a selection of premium Lourensford Wines with chocolate variations. The pairings, at R65pp, include the Winemaker’s Selection Viognier paired with white stone fruit chocolate, Lourensford Estate Merlot with dark kirsch cherry chocolate, Lourensford Limited Release SMV with dark Cape Malay chocolate and their Honey Liqueur with a mint chocolate. The Tasting Room is open daily from 9am – 5pm (closed on 25 December).
3. While the adults enjoy a bit of wine tasting, the kids can also join in on the fun with a kiddies grape juice tasting (R30). They can taste white and red juice, ‘paired’ with cheddar biscuits, a sweet biscuit, cheese and a chocolate covered marshmallow.
4. The Lourensford Christmas Market from this weekend (2 – 4 December) should help you out if you still need to buy Christmas presents and decor. Buy trinkets and treasures in a market situated in a space that has been transformed into an enchanted woodlands forest lit with fairy lights. Spend the evening foraging for that perfect Christmas gift, while enjoying delicious eats and drinks. There are art and photography exhibitions and a lineup of live music, featuring Lize Mynhardt on 2 December, Lonesome Dave Ferguson on 3 December and Edu Henn on 4 December. The kids’ entertainment area includes a jumping castle and jungle gyms. Alternatively, you can relax with the family in the main market seating area or bring a blanket for a spot on the lawn next to the fountain, and take in the estate’s beautiful gardens.
5. The Young Entrepreneurs Mini Market. Here’s where the kids can show off their entrepreneurial skills and make some extra pocket money. They will be selling handcrafted Christmas gifts in the courtyard on Sunday 4 December.
6. For the energetic families, the Lourensford Twilight Run on December 16 (a public holiday) covers 18km or 8km of the Estate. If you want something less challenging you can take part in a 3km Fun Run. Medals are awarded to the podium winners, with lucky draws and spot prizes for pre-entries. After that, why not go over to the Twilight Market for some well-deserved post-run treats.
7. This is probably best for families with older kids but if you are an active family you can take part in the guided 3-hour hikes, which requires a medium level of fitness and agility. You will enjoy amazing views over False Bay and the Hottentot Holland and Helderberg mountain ranges. Book through email@example.com or 083 400 4451. Hikes cost R80. For more information on dates and times, click here.